32,000 Spectators Watch Dog Interfere With Game

It was a typical Dartmouth Saturday. The crowd of 32,000 began pouring into the stadium over an hour before the game, and a bright, if cold, sun greeted the fans.

Before any serious football could be played, the crowd was treated to a special Dartmouth offensive. A boxer bulldog, which followed the Big Green band onto the field, stayed tamely around for the Harvard band pregame show, and then joined the Indians when they took up their defensive position.

The dog was chased and flanked by Harvard managers, but he showed more elusiveness than even the Dartmouth backfield. Running down the sidelines, he picked up 30 yards before he was forced out of bounds and finally downed by a Dartmouth assistant.

These unusual Dartmouth tactics continued at halftime. Midway through the Harvard Band show, more than 200 Hanover ruffians ran onto the field to form a passage way for the Big Green team, which came out dramatically in three units. Unperturbed by this un-sportsmanlike conduct, the band continued with its splendid rendition of "Fair Harvard."

The Band show, which was seen by more than a million persons on CBS television, was devoted to great comedy acts of the year. The Prize for the friendliest performance went to Fidel Castro and Nikita Khrushchev for their recent love affair. Dartmouth's musicians contented themselves with a rather dull precision drill.

Before the game, two Dartmouth students brought cheers from both sides of the stadium with a "Beat Teddy" sign. The Green stands were slightly more enthusiastic than the Crimson in their condemnation of Kennedy.

Politics were definitely in the air. A group of high school students from Medford arrived in a chartered bus carrying Dartmouth banners. When asked why they were opposing Harvard, several young girls laughed and explained: "We don't like Ted Kennedy."

Although most persons in the stands were primarily concerned with the battle being fought on the field, talk of Cuba and the international crisis was heard everywhere. There was a special fervor in the crowd when the "Star Spangled Banner" was sung.