Clock Stops Crimson JV's Twice As Indians Escape With 0-0 Tie

Harvard's Junior Varsity football team braved snow, sleet, and Dartmouth yesterday, only to be frustrated by another opponent: time. On two different occasions the clock ran out on the J.V.'s, permitting the Green to escape with a 0-0 tie.

With less than two minutes remaining in the first half, Crimson fullback Stan Yastrzemski ripped off tackle for gains of 20 and 32 yards, carrying the ball to the ten yard line. A Yastrzemski cross-buck moved the Crimson seven yards closer to the three. With such momentum, it seemed that nothing could stop the J.V.'s, but before another play could be started, the half ended, the scoring threat dying with it.

One minute from the end of the game Harvard again had a first down on the Dartmouth ten yard line, the result of a 46-yard drive. Three hasty plays set the ball on the five, in perfect position for a field goal attempt. The kicker waited eagerly, but the ball never got there. The center's hands slipped, Dartmouth took over, ran one play, and the game ended.

Except for these two drives, the game was all defense. Mud and driving snow kept both teams bogged down, forcing them to punt a total of eleven times. Whenever Harvard's offense stalled, Jim Brooke's long punts set Dartmouth deep in their own territory. Consistently tough line play kept them there.

The only Dartmouth threat came at the start of the second period, when Richard Horton, faking beautifully, guided his team to the Harvard 30-yard line. There the defense, led by John Vinton, Robert Hunter, and John O'Brient, held firm for four plays, and Harvard took over.

Yastrzemski was the real offensive standout for the Crimson. Wrestling himself free from would-be tacklers time after time, he sparked both Harvard drives. George Spoto and Jerry Michling piloted the offense, with Spoto directing the 59-and 46-yard threats.

Norm Shepart, Junior Varsity coach, felt the teams were too evenly matched for either one to dominate under the poor playing conditions. His team has won one game and lost one, in addition to tying Dartmouth. The J.V. faces Pennsylvania in Cambridge on November 3.