Indians Destroy Crimson Hopes; Line Plays Decisive Role in 24-6 Win

By Joseph M. Russin

Harvard's hopes for another Ivy League title were ground into the Stadium turf Saturday. There was little doubt in the minds of the chilled crowd that the Dartmouth Indians, who methodically forged a 24-6 victory, would soon be in possession of the championship cup.

The Big Green appears to be at least two touchdowns better than any squad in the League. Harvard was the only team with a reasonable chance to beat Dartmouth, and only a disastrous rash of injuries or a fantastic upset can now prevent an unbeaten record. Princeton has an outside chance, but the Tiger's performance at Ithaca leaves little doubt as to which is the better team.

Dartmouth's victory Saturday, like the team itself, was unspectacular. It was built on a powerful line which refused to yield defensively and was able to open moderate-sized holes on offense.

Bill King was deceptive and judicious in his choice of plays, but he was not brilliant. Tom Spangenberg was a powerful ball carrier, but hardly the best Harvard has seen. Both of them were made deadly, though, by the line.

The Crimson backs, it is true, did not have an especially outstanding afternoon, but they rarely had an opportunity to display their talents. Dartmouth's constantly pressing defenses thwarted nearly every attempt to put together a series of successful plays. Bill Grana and Hobie Armstrong ran courageously, only to meet half the Dartmouth line as soon as they reached scrimmage.

Great backs, it has oft been said, can't do anything without line support, and this was proven many times Saturday. At the end of the game Harvard had gained only 99 yards rushing, compared to the Indians' 246. The Crimson held a 97-66 advantage in passing, but most of this was gained on Mike Bassett's long touchdown, pass to Bill Taylor.

Harvard's line cannot be accused of not trying, however. Brad Stephens, Dick Diehl, Ernie Zissis, Dave Hudepohl and Pat Young were especially noteworthy in their efforts, but they and their colleagues were overwhelmed by superior force.

Despite the loss of the Ivy title, the season did not end Saturday, and from here on the outlook is much brighter for the Crimson. The remaining four games will be tough ones, but only the Princeton contest is questionable. If the team can forget about Dartmouth, they should be able to win the only really important game on the schedule-Yale.