House Repeals NDEA Affidavit; Measure Goes to White House

Vote Follows Action Of Senate Thursday

The House of Representative has given the final death-blow to the disclaimer affidavit provision of the National Defense Education Act.

The action came Tuesday night in a unanimous voice vote, and followed repeal of the affidavit by the Senate last Thursday. At the same time the House struck the affidavit provision form the National Science Foundation Act, the Associating Press required last night.

Applicants for loans under the 1958 NDEA act wid still have to take an oath of loyalty to the United States, but they will no longer have to sign an affidavit disclaiming membership in, belief in, or support, of any subversive organization.

Instead of the controversial affidavit, the new law provides criminal penalties for any member of a subversive organization who applies for and receives an NDEA loan.

Passed in the wake of Sputniks I and II, NDEA sought to provide much needed funds for education in an era of rapidly rising costs. Its program embraced loans to students and grants for specific projects to universities.

Kennedy Sought Repeal

Two previous movements for repeal of the disclaimer affidavit led by Senator John F. Kennedy '40 had died in the House after gaining Senate passage. This time the repeal was attached as an amendment to the NSF bill when it reached the Senate floor.

Sen, Wayne Morse (D-Ore.) handled the repealer in the Senate last Thursday, tacking on the amendment while the Senate was rushing through a series of minor bills. The Senate gave speedy approval to the amendment. House approval was equally prompt on Tuesday.

Only President Kennedy's signature is needed before the new NDEA provisions become law. In view of his past stand on the affidavit, this should not be long in coming.