Four League Games Slated As Ivy Trophy Chase Begins

By Joseph M. Russin

Last weekend Ivy League teams played games with schools outside the not-so-ancient Order of the Ancient Eight and won five of them. The feat was remarkable because Ivy squads managed to triumph in only five "outside" games during all of last season.

Today the play is all within the family as the Ivy flag chase begins in earnest.

Columbia, having just barely subdued rampaging Brown, is the current Ivy leader with a record of 1-0, but that short honeymoon should end by 4:30 this afternoon.

The reason is simple: Columbia visits Princeton and the trip into the Tiger's lair should prove very unpleasant. Lion sophomore quarterback Archie Roberts did very well against Brown--in fact, he even was named Ivy Back of the Week--but Princeton is another situation.

While Columbia was struggling with the Bruins, Princeton's backfield, after a half of lethargy, ripped Rutgers. I like Princeton by two touchdowns in this game, and maybe more.

Brown, meanwhile, after its exciting New York journey, hosts Yale. The Yalies had to work hard to get by Connecticut, a team they have never failed to beat, and this week coach Oliver has installed a three-unit system.

The units have all sorts of terrifying names--Bulldogs, Apaches, and Commandoes. The squads themselves are not nearly so bad. They should have enough amunition, though, to just barely escape the claws of the Brown bear. Yale, maybe, by a point or two.

Dartmouth fattened up last week on Massachusetts, and this week another lamb heads into Hanover--Penn. The Quakers made it past Lafayette, but they weren't exactly able to use the JVs in the last quarter.

Bill King showed that he is just about as good as everyone says he is. For this reason, and because of overwhelming Big Green line strength, Dartmouth should prevail with at least a two touchdown margin.

Next week's Harvard opponents are the powerful Crusaders of Holy Cross. The Crusaders, unfortunately, are a very fine outfit, with a backfield that might disturb Princeton's coach Dick Colman. The Holy Cross quarterback, McCarthy, may be the best in the east.

Holy Cross this week sharpens its lances against Colgate. The Red Raiders dropped their opener to Brown, but last week surprised overconfident Cornell. The Crusaders know what to expect, and should be able to leave Colgate two touchdowns behind.