Crimson Won 9-7 In Final Minutes Of The 1961 Game

Princeton's football team came to Cambridge last year without the services of star player Greg Riley, and left without its Ivy League lead and undeafted record. A tough and determined Crimson team came from behind in the waning moments of the game to defeat the Tigers 9-7.

Soon after Harvard got the ball for the first time, Dave Ward scored what turned out to be the deciding points with a field goal from the 20 yard line. Harvard continued to control the game until the Tiger line finally stiffened and stopped the Crimson on the Princeton 11.

Princeton's offense appeared to be getting nowhere against what the visitors coach, Dick Coleman, termed the "best line in the Ivy League. Five plays succeeded in moving the Tigers only from their 11 to their 23.

Suddenly, however, the Tigers got a break, and the lead changed hands. Tallback Ibbeken passed to John Henrich who accidently deflected the ball to teammate, Rockenbach who barely managed to maintain his balance as he eluded numerous Harvard players and scored. After the extra point was kicked, Princeton led 7-3.

For the second, third, and most of the fourth periods, brutal defensive line play dominated the game. Both teams managed to penetrate deep into enemy territory once, but neither could score until two sophomores Bill Humenuk and Scot Harshbager saved the day for Harvard.

Harvard got the one break it needed when Princeton fumbled on its own 39. A series of passes from Humenuk to Harshbarger and a six-yard plunge by Harshbarger brought the ball to the Tiger one. Humenuk dove into the end zone to clinch a victory for the Crimson.