Radcliffe Considers Intern Program

By Susan Engelke

Radcliffe may organize a government sponsorship program in Washington for the first time this summer. According to Paula I. Robbins, director of Radcliffe student employment, such a program seems likely, but will depend upon the response of the girls."

The program would provide government jobs for qualified 'Cliffies from various fields of concentration. Mrs. Robbins stressed that because there are government jobs available for students in such areas as science and economics, it would a necessary to be a government concentrator to join the program.

In addition to providing jobs, similar programs at other colleges include participation in evening seminars for the students while they are in Washington. A number of these schools, including Yale, Smith, and the University of Wisconsin, conduct their programs as members of the Office of Washington Internship Co-ordinating Committee.

This Committee, which is sponsered by the American Political Science Association, both finds jobs for students from member colleges and conducts the evening seminars.

Radcliffe is considering joining the Committee at the present time. However, because of sufficient alumnae contacts in Washington, Radcliffe does not wish to subscribe to the Committee's job placement service.

If it is possible we would like to join just to participate in the seminars," Mrs. Robbins said. Owing to the probable small number of 'Cliffies and the large number of present seminars sponsored by other groups, it would be difficult to get good government speakers just for a Radcliffe group.

Vassar and Wellesley have jointly sponsored a successful government internship program since 1952. Their program includes volunteer work during the day and seminars in the evening. The 30 juniors--15 from each school--who are chosen to participate stay in the same hotel for the six week period.

The proposed Radcliffe program would be different in several respects. The jobs would be on a salaried rather than a volunteer basis, because many girls have to earn money during the summer. However, for girls who do not reside in the Washington area the pay would cover only room and board. Also, 'Cliffies would not be required to live in the same hotel.