Varsity Booters Battle Bruins in Crucial Tilt

Tomorrow's soccer clash between the fourth place Crimson and second place Brown will definitely seal the fate of the loser, and will put the victor into strong contention for the league title.

Both teams were expected to be serious contenders for the title, but a weak and demoralized Crimson team fell easily to the Little Three early in the season, and then dropped close games to Dartmouth and Penn. The Bruins have also fallen twice, but with a record of 3-2-1 remain slightly ahead of Harvard (3-2-0).

Dark horse Columbia last week trounced Dartmouth and vaulted past Yale, which fell to Penn into the league lead which the Elise had held for the last four week. The Lions tilt this weekend with Penn is the other crucial contest: If Columbia falls, the Quakers will take an undisputed hold over the league lead.

The Crimson's 7-0 triumph last week over Princeton demonstrated that the skill was there and may have added enough of a lift to the team's morale to enable it to down the Bruins. Sophomore Cormac O'Malley ably substituted for ailing Chris Ohiri, and may be the solution to one of he team's most pressing problems--scoring goals.

The Bruins last year dumped the varsity 5-0. in the worst defeat the Crimson has suffered in several years. Playing an almost illegally rough game, they took advantage of every opportunity to block a lightweight forward line. The Crimson's poor passing and tactical errors on the part of goalie John Adams proved very costly.