Glimp Thinks Applications Will Hit 5000

By Efrem Sigel

With another six weeks to go in the Harvard admissions sweepstakes, applications are running about the same as last year, Fred L. Glimp '50, dean of Admissions, reported last week.

As of of Friday, 1490 applications had been received by the Admissions Office, compared to 1510 at the same time last year. Glimp said he expected the final total to be around 5000--"maybe one or two hundred more"--which would make this the third straight year that the number had remained virtually constant.

The deadline for filing applications is January 1. but the Admissions Office had set Nov. 15 as a "target date" for applications, in order to hurry the process along.

Glimp also revealed some of the final admissions figures for the Class of '66. The final ratio of public to private school graduates in the freshman class held steady at 56 to 44 per cent for the third straight year. A one per cent increase in the public school representation had been reported previously.

A similar levelling-off was noted in the median SAT scores of entering freshmen. The median verbal SAT was 679, an increase of one point from the Class of '65 and anet increase of three over the last four classes. The increase from the Class of '61 to '64 had been 39 points.

Glimp saw some significance in the fact that the median verbal score of the bottom ten per cent of the class dropped 23 points, from 581 to 568. He said the drop was evidence that the Admissions Committee was giving more weight to to "non-objective" factors in selecting candidates and that Harvard was getting "more really strong candidates in the low range of SAT scores]."