Biology Dept. Places 26 In New Tutorial

Seeks Additional Men To Tutor Nine More

By Andrew T. Weil

The Biology Department has succeeded in finding tutors for 26 of the 35 students who applied for its new, non-credit tutorial program. According to Ted Feder, chairman of undergraduate chairs in Biology, at least some of the other nine will also be able to take advantage of the program.

The Department announced its reception of tutorial at the beginning October. At that time it offered Honors to sophmores and juniors the option of applying for individual work with members of the Faculty and post-doctoral fellows. Thirty-five students made formal applications for tutorial--more than per cent of those eligible to do so. The department then attempted to match each applicant with a tutor on the basis of mutual interests.

"I'm a little surprised and very pleased," said Feder, "that we were able to match so many. We used no pressure at on the Faculty." A list of the nine persons not accommodated as yet has been sent to prospective tutors in order place as many applicants as possible the program.

Unofficial Tutorials

William R. Sistrom, assistant professor of Biology, pointed out that many other undergraduates in the Department have made unofficial arrangements for tutorial work with Faculty members and teaching fellows. Therefore, more than 26 students will actually be taking Biology tutorial this year.

The new tutorial will be highly informed and the actual form of it will be up each tutor-tutee pair. "The nature of the program will vary greatly from person to person," Feder pointed out.

Unlike other departments, which often make tutorial a formal academic requirement, the Biology Department insists the program exists mainly "for the enrichment and benefit of tutor and tutee." The organizers of the new Biology tutorial were enthusiastic about the response from both students and tutors.