Bunting Raps Unrestricted Opening Of Harvard Dining Halls to 'Cliffies

President Bunting opposes opening the Harvard dining halls to 'Cliffes on an unrestricted basis.

Although she favors some form of interhouse, Mrs. Bunting pointed out recently that Radcliffe girls might "do something to the tradition of conversation in the Houses." She added that she has "sympathy for the men who want to be let alone some of the time."

Mrs. Bunting believes that interhouse should be available to some extent on an exchange basis. Although the mechanics for the equalization of costs would have to be arranged on a college-wide level, Mrs. Bunting feels that the exact number of nights open to 'Cliffes should be left to the discretion of the individual Houses.

More Nights at 'Cliffe

"To make it a balanced exchange, Radcliffe would have to have a great many more open nights, since we are smaller and the tendency would be for the girls to eat at Harvard rather than vice versa." Mrs. Bunting suggested that it might be fair if all evening meals at the 'Cliffe were open to Harvard.

The advantages for Harvard of an interhouse system would be greater when the projected Radcliffe study center is completed. The increased number of tutorials and other college activities then meeting at the 'Cliffe would make interhouse a convenience for Harvard as well as Radcliffe.

Problems for 'Cliffe

The possibility of 'Cliffies eating lunches in the Harvard Houses presents problems for Radcliffe as well as for Harvard. Because the girls' dorms are so far away, a considerable number would probably take advantage of the offer, forcing several of the Radcliffe kitchens to close.

The varying locations of the Harvard Houses would, however, lead to an "excessive" patronage of those which are closer to the Yard. Mrs. Bunting suggested that all these problems could be worked out experimentally, if Harvard were willing to try.

Five House Committees at Harvard have expressed definite approval of the proposal to allow interhouse dining for Radcliffe girls on date nights.