Crimson, Yale to Meet in 17 Contests Today

Eliot Eleven Seeks Title

By R.andrew Beyer

Eliot's powerful eleven, which averaged better than 20 points per game and yielded only two touchdowns all season as it rolled to the House football championship, will battle Saybrook College on Webster Field at 2:30 p.m. for the Harvard-Yale intramural championship.

With a Brobdingnagian forward wall that outweighs both the Crimson and Eli varsities and a stellar backfield, featuring the running of fullback Keith Striggow who is averaging six yards per carry, the Elephants rate a solid favorite today.

Other standouts on the Eliot squad are quarterback Pete Wood, the son of a former Harvard All-American, and halfbacks Andy Shea and Keith Striggow. It was a Wood-to Shea pass in the final minute of play which gave The Elephants a win over Winthrop earlier this season in their only close contest of the campaign. Striggow's hard running paced Eliot in its crucial victory over Leverett, which gave the Elephants the House football diadem.

Eliot has the further advantage of being the home team. Home teams-which in general have a big manpower advantage-have traditionally dominated Harvard-Yale intramural clashes. Only twice in the past decade has a visiting squad walked off with the Edward Harkness Memorial Trophy, awarded to the winner of the intramural football championship.

Eliot has compiled an impressive mark in its annual frays with the Elis. In 1960 they copped the Harkness trophy by obliterating Davenport College 26-0; since 1958 they have scored four successive shutouts over their Blue foes. Saybrook, unbeaten this season, has been less successful; they have only defeated Harvard once since 1955.

Leverett, Dwight Collide

Leverett House, which was beaten out for the House championship when they dropped a 22 to 8 decision to Eliot last week, will face Timothy Dwight at 2 p.m. on the Freshman field. In other 2 p.m. contests, Lowell will vie with Pierson on Field 1; Kirkland meets Calhoun on Field 2; and Quincy faces Branford at Brown and Nichols School.

In the second flight of games at 3:15, Dudley will duel Silliman at Brown and Nichols; Dunster meets Jonathan Edwards on Field 1. On Field 2, Winthrop tackles Trumbull, which won the Harkness Trophy last year with a narrow 6 to 0 win over Kirkland.

Yale Has Dominated

Yale has dominated intramural contests in past years. Since the House-College games began in 1931, the Elis have captured 74 games, Harvard has won 59 and 22 have ended in deadlocks. Yale leads 13-12 in the championship contests; Eliot should even the series today.