Soccer Squad to Oppose Bulldogs Today

By Robert A. Ferguson

Penn clinched at least a tie for the Ivy League soccer title Wednesday with a 3-3 tie with Cornell. But by not downing the Big Red, the front-running Quakers lost a chance to insure lone dominance of the league. All rests now on the upcoming Harvard-Yale tilt. A Crimson win will force Penn to share the title; a loss will leave the Quakers alone on the top.

Harvard's position as a title contender is incredible when its five defeats (two in league play) are taken into account. Coach Bruce Munro's booters are in contention solely because no other Ivy team has managed to put together more than four wins in six outings.

At mid-season Yale was the only undefeated team around and seemed headed for a first place finish. But the frustrated Bulldogs have lost three straight since then and come to Cambridge with the fresh memory of a humiliating 5-1 loss to Princeton.

Munro was puzzled by the Yale defeat. "I just don't understand how Yale could even lose to Princeton, much less by four goals," he said. (Harvard dumped the Tigers 7 to 0 two weeks ago.)

The three recent losses have knocked the Eli eleven out of the running, but early season play showed that they are capable of stellar soccer. The prospect of ruining Crimson crown hopes will give the Yalies additional incentive.

Yale is always tough and if the Bulldogs catch the varsity on one of its bad days the game will be what Munro has termed a "toss-up." The Crimson defensive unit of Lou Williams, Terry Winslow, and goalie Wally Whitney should and must give their usual top performances. But Munro's offense is, at best, unpredictable.

Chris Ohiri's playing status changes often: injuries continue to hamper his effectiveness. Sophomore center forward Cormac O'Malley has ably substituted for Ohiri, and switch of Captain Tony Davies from halfback to the forward line has given added impetus to the offense.