Crimson Rugby Team Duels Amherst

As kickoff approaches today, the Cadillacs will roll into the Soldiers Field parking lot and the alumni will stroll to their fifty-yard line seats. The band will parade into the Stadium, and the gridders will start their calisthentics.

At the same time, beyond the tennis courts, the Amherst and Harvard Rugby Clubs will be winding up a fiercely played contest before a handful of spectators The teams will stroll to the locker room and, sipping their traditional post-game beers, quietly join the 32,000 Harvard-Yale football fans.

In speaking of the Amherst contest, which begins at noon, Richard S. Shulman '63, Rugby Club president, was casually optimistic. "This our best team ever," Shulman stressed, "despite our being unable to find enough players for practice during the week."

The team faces the problem, according to Shulman, of fielding a winning squad without coaches, trainers, or recruiters.

Despite their problems, this promises to be one of the ruggers' most successful years in a long while. The team suddenly jelled in their upset win over the previously undefeated New York Rugby Club last week, and the team enters today's tough match with Amherst displaying more spirit than their 2-2-2 record should allow.

Unknown Quantity

Amherst, despite winning the Eastern Rugby Championship last year, is an unknown quantity. This will be their first game of the year, for the team is stocked with football players who completed their season last week.

Shulman, is primarily looking forward to today's game as a test of the strength shown against New York last week. He is extremely optimistic about the rest of the schedule, which extends into a full slate of games in the Spring. The team is planning finally to make the trip to California that it was invited to take three years ago.

The club hopes, with the successful fall season, to inspire more interest in rugby within the College. Regardless of the interest, however, it will continue its fierce play and post-game beers.