Eliot House Beats Saybrook, 21-0; Shea, Wood Lead Team to Victory

By R.andrew Beyer

"They had the beef; they had everything," a Saybrook College player moaned after yesterday's Harvard-Yale intramural championship game. The "Beef" was Eliot House's mammoth forward wall; the "everything" was primarily Elephant backs Pete Wood and Andy Shea, whose spectacular play paced Eliot to a 21-0 victory over the Blue gridders.

After a lackluster first quarter, Eliot took the ball on the Saybrook 42 after a punt. Shea slammed off-tackle on three successive identical plays, moving the Elephants to the 14. Wood then swept around left end to the two-yard line, and Shea bulled over on the next play for the score that put the Crimson ahead to stay, 7-0.

Early in the third stanza, Saybrook showed its last remnants of life. Aided by a pair of penalties, they marched 45 yards to the Harvard 30 with halfback Pete Becket leading the drive. But Eliot recovered a fumble on the 30, and on the next play Wood dashed 57 yards to the Saybrook 12; three plays later he went up the middle to make the score 12-0.

The Elephants' final touchdown was an esthetic delight. The passing of second-string quartback Elliot Tompkins had moved Eliot to the Bulldog ten. Tompkins rolled out to the right, and three Yalie defensemen apparently had him trapped; but Tompkins leaped into the air and threw a perfect strike to end Dick Sorenson, giving Eliot its third score of the game.