Quincy Wins Soccer Title, Squeaks by Stiles in Wind

Soccer teams from Quincy House and Stiles College battled the wind and each other through the regulation game and two overtime periods yesterday before Gil Jost dramatically sentt the ball flying past the outstretched hands of the Stiles goalie to give Quincy a 3-2 win and the intramural soccer championship.

Though the playing was sometimes sloppy, and the wind made long passes ineffective, the game was worthy of a championship match. Two evenly-matched teams seldom display such enthusiasm and hustle in intramural competition. Though Quincy dominated the later stages of the game, the Stiles defense was strong enough to prevent the winning goal during regular play, and the outcome was never certain until the end.

The scoring in the first period seemed to indicate that the Yalies might possess the punch necessary to win. Costa Vaitnos expertly headed in a perfect corner kick for the one Stiles tally, while Jost picked up a garbage goal from in front of the nets for the lone Quincy score.

In the second period the wind blew stronger than before, making it difficult for either team to move the ball. But in the second half, the tempo of play increased as each team again managed to score.

Stiles struck first when Gill Cochran, its captain, fired a quick shot into the ill-defended Quincy goal. Coach Bob Sea-man's Quins fought back quickly. Andy Campbell kicked in a hard goal from about fifteen yards out to even the score at 2-2.

From that point until Jost's long smash found the mark halfway through the second overtime Quincy controlled the ball but could not produce the needed score. Miles Jaffee and George Larson sparked the Quincy defense that kept Yale from threatening, and forced the contest into extra minutes.