Unbeaten Yardling Gridders Beat Yalies

Freshman Team Wins

John McCluskey's quarterbacking, the running of Dave Poe and Wally Grant, and a lot of breaks enabled the freshman football team to edge Yale yesterday and complete an undefeated season.

Grant's 18-yard sprint around left end in the third period scored the points that turned out to be just enough to defeat the stubborn Elis. The Crimson had taken a 7-0 lead early in the second period when Poe raced 12 yards around left and after receiving a lateral from McCluskey, and Roger Nobock booted the crucial extra point.

Yale roared back with a spectacular 25-yard touchdown pass from second string quarterback Humphrey Watts to Charles Skubas, a halfback who gave the Crimson secondary fits all afternoon. Yale's attempt for a two-point conversion failed and Harvard led 7-6 at the half.

After Grant's third-period tally, Yale's quarterback found Skubas all alone in the end zone and tossed to him for the last score of the game. Unwilling to go for a tie, Yale tried for two points again, but did not even come close.

The Crimson spent the remainder of the game stemming Yale penetrations deep into Harvard territory. Time after time the Bulldogs reached the Harvard 30-yard line only to lose the ball on downs to the tough Crimson defense. One last desperate Eli effort failed when, with two minutes left to play, Watts' fourth down pass to Skubas from the Harvard 35 fell incomplete. Harvard then ran out the clock and, when the gun went off, ran off the field with Coach Henry Lamar on their shoulders.

Not since 1928 has a Harvard freshman team been undefeated. Lamar credits the perfect season to the Yardlings' spirit and deside, and to the speed with which they became adjusted to each other's playing habits.