Only Final Score Upsets Olivar

Yovicsin Is 'Pretty Happy Guy'

By David I. Oyama

Although it is a chiche in Harvard-Yale sporting circles to say that victory in the annual Classic is the sine qua non of a successful football season, the contrasting humors of coaches John Yovicsin and Jordan Olivar at Saturday's post-game press conference seemed to attest to the cliche's truth.

The angular, just-jawed Yale coach spoke but little and smiled not at all. Yovicsin, always affable, fairly effervesced. For Oliver, losing to the Crimson made a dismal season even more disconcerting. Victory over the Eli gave Yovicsin his fourth win against Yale in six years, a record few of his predecessors could boast.

Asked whether the failure of the two-point conversion play after the Yale touchdown, which could have put the Elis ahead 3-7, had upset him. Oliver replied tersely, "Nothing upset me except the final score."

Yovicsin praised the Eli defense and pointed to the wind as "a definite factor" in attempting to console the unhappy Olivar, but he did not deny that he was "thrilled" and a "pretty happy guy."

Despite a correct prognosis of the Yale defensive strategy, Yovicsin said the Elis were still "a tough team to score against. We found out this afternoon that we couldn't above them around," he said.

The Crimson coach admitted that he would have liked to see Harvard score more, but explained that the wind reduced chances of scoring when the team had to move against it. The Crimson's 14-6 margin was the smallest in the last eight contests between the rivals. However, no team has scored more than 15 points against the Yalies this year.

Yovicsin Praises Taylor

Yovicsin singled out halfback Bill Taylor for special praise and said his performance Saturday was consistent with his valuable play all season. Taylor, who last week was voted Ivy back-of-the-week for a record four-touchdown performance against Brown, gained 93 yards in 15 carries and scored the first Crimson touchdown.

Olivar, who is no 5-6 in the Harvard-Yale series, declined to say whether the Crimson was the best Ivy team Yale has faced this year, probably forgetting Dartmouth's undefeated champions for the moment.

The only bright thought that came to the Eli's head mentor was the comparative youth of his present squad and its expected maturity next year. However, Olivar made similar noises after the 27-0 loss to Harvard and a second division finish last year. Clearly, last year's squad failed to "mature" this fall.

Crimson captain Dick Diehl predictably described the game as "a great team win." Though disappointed that the varsity "never really got going," Diehl said he "would be just as happy if we won 14-13."

Reporters at the conference were impressed on receiving the CRIMSON's special football "extra" immediately after the game. Not a copy of the rumored edition of the Yale Daily News was to be seen, however.