Kinasewich Appeals Case

Varsity hockey player Gene Kinasewich will personally present his case to the Eastern College Athletic Conference eligibility committee Dec. 12 in an unprecedented appeal, Dean Watson reported yesterday.

The conference ruled Kinasewich ineligible earlier this year because he accepted subsidies for playing Junior A hockey in Canada four years ago. The ECAC claimed that this made Kinasewich a professional under the rules of the conference.

Needed Money

The University will support Kinasewich in his plea, based on hardship. He will maintain that without the Junior A subsidies he could not have played played hockey and continued school.

Kinasewich is one of more than 100 Canadian players now enrolled in American colleges whose records were examined by the ECAC eligibility committee. Members of the committee include Harry Arlanson of Tufts and Vic Stout of Boston University, the Boston Traveler reported.

Harvard will have games with Boston University and Colby before the appeal date. The Ivy League schedule does not begin until later in the season.

Kinasewich is currently working out with the Crimson, but coach Cooney Weiland has not been skating him in his usual first line position.

Kinasewich received subsides totaling about $1150 over a period of two years. The subsidies were awarded on the basis of financial need.