Tonis Avoids FBI Methods Used at Yale

'Daily News' Attacks Yale Security Head

The Harvard University Police, unlike their Yale counterparts, do not keep files on such subjects as "Subversive Organizations, Activities, and Individuals" and do not intend to keep them in the future.

Robert Tonis, University Security officer and Chief of Police, said yesterday that such action was "the farthest thing them my thoughts." The campus police force, Tonis pointed out, "is strictly an organization that tries to be helpful."

A special two-part report which appearance Nov. 20 and 21 in the Yale Daily News criticized many of the techniques employee by Yale Police Chief John W. Powell. Underneath the question, "Does the Yale campus police organization have to be run like the FBI?", the report contends at the adaptation of FBI methods to the campus police organization has interred force morale as well as the relationship of the policemen to the students.

The two News articles state that Power has instituted an FBI-style filing system for police records and requires his officers to submit complete reports on even minor incidents. These reports are classified under such headings as "Subversive Organizations, Activities, and Individuals," and "Morals Investigations" Powell claims that the "subversive" file is only a "catch-all" category containing such items as press clippings referring to groups that "might go that way."

The News also reports charges from name of Powell's men that he has allowed security officers from private firms and government agencies to see the "ultra-complete" records he keeps on students. Powell denied the charges, pointing out that such inspections are forbidden by university policy.

A Dartmouth graduate with 17 years of FBI experience, Powell was chosen Yale security director and associate dean of students in 1960 after the St. Patrick's Day riots and the Suzy affair. Since then, the OCD relates, he has improved relations between the Yale and New Haven police and has often helped Yale students when they have gone to court.

Harvard Chief Tonis, himself a Dartmouth graduate and former FBI man, pointed out that it was Powell who decided the seven Harvard bandsmen arrested in New Haven in October for disturbing the peace during a 4 a.m. band raid on the Yale campus.