Crimson Varsity Squads Select Williams, Meehan

Harvard cross-country star Ed Meehan has been elected captain of the 1963 harrier squad.

Meehan is one of the squad's "big three"; he teamed with Ed Hamlin, and Bill Crain during the season to form the main strength for the powerful Crimson team.

One of the Ivy League's best runners during his freshman year, Meehan has consistently finished first or second on the Crimson varsity.

Led Victory at Brown

In his most significant victory of the season, Meehan led the harriers to an unset win over a strong Brown team, as he took a close first place in 24:11.

In the close 23-29 triumph over U Mass, Meehan, hampered by a cold, ran third with 25:29. He shared first-place honors with Hamlin and Crain in the triangular meet against Columbia and Penn, and again against Dartmouth.

The varsity soccer team has picked defenseman Lou Williams, one of the best all around athletes in the College, to captain next year's squad. As left fullback on coach Bruce Munro's Crimson eleven, Williams was an instrumental component of an air-tight defense that held its last three opponents (Princeton, Brown, and Yale) to a single goal.

The 6 ft., 3 in. junior's booming goal kicks traveled half the field against Yale last Friday and helped the varsity to tie with Penn for the Ivy League crown.

Williams was a first string competitor in three sports as a sophomore, making him the only current athlete to win letters in three different sports in one year.

Along with his soccer performances, Williams was the number three man on last year's nationally ranked squash team and was also one of the top lacrosse scorers in the country during the spring.