NSA's Seminars Will Evaluate Free Africa

By Lawrence W. Feinberg

A seminar on neo-colonialism for African and American students at Harvard is being organized by the National Student Association as part of its nation-wide effort to get American and foreign students seriously examining the political issues that will affect foreign students when they return to their homes.

Thomas Olson, administrative assistant to NSA's International Commission, said yesterday that the Harvard group will evaluate the strength and significance of European influence in African countries after they have achieved independence.

Composed of about 16 students, evenly divided between Africans and Americans, the seminar will meet for about eight weeks after the Spring Term begins. Experts on Africa from Harvard and other colleges in the Boston area will join the group for discussion of specific problem areas.

More Seminars in Boston

While in Boston this week he is forming similar seminars on neo-colonialism at Brandeis and Simmons. Seminars on the topic are also being formed at four other colleges in New England.

Olson is also organizing seminars for American and foreign students in the South and the Southwest. The South-western groups, which will include students from Latin America, will study the Jacobin Left in Latin America. In the South the seminars will discuss the international role of universities.

Although many colleges have organized hospitality programs for their foreign students, Olson said there is a need for "more serious discussion between them and Americans outside formal academic work, which the NSA seminars will provide."