Most Institute Scholars Elude 'Cliffies

When the Radcliffe Institute of Independent Study announced that 22 women, would come to Cambridge to study on Institute grants, Radcliffe undergraduates hoped to find opportunities for frequent communication with the scholars. After two years, however, few Institute scholars have made contact with the undergraduates.

Constance E. Smith, Director of the Institute, believes that the Institute scholars can add another dimension to the undergraduate community, but that communication between scholars and students cannot be instantly created. "You can't force anything like this; you let it grow."

Away from Undergraduates

Many scholars find that their research keeps them away from areas where they might meet undergraduates. The painters and sculptors in the Institute work at home. Several scholars are doing their research in other cities, and come to Cambridge for only a few days each month.

Miss Smith has been working with the R. G. A. Living Room Talks Committee in an effort to find a convenient and informal way of attracting scholars to the the Quad. Under one plan, scholars would give a few informal talks in the Radcliffe Houses.

All the scholars will be affiliated with a House this year. "Making someone an affiliate, however, creates only a superficial attachment," said Mrs. David C. McClelland, wife of the South House Head. In addition, she believes that the Heads must try new ways to increase the scholars' contact with undergraduates.

Kenneth Thimann, Head of East House, has decided to call in scholars as advisers for specific East House functions. For example, he hopes to run the spring art show with the help of some Institute scholars.

Only a small number of scholars have eaten in the Radcliffe dorms, and some felt extremely uncomfortable when they did come. One said, "I come there, take my plate and wonder what I'm there for." Convinced that this problem could be easily solved, Miss Smith remarked, "Most of the scholars are not basically shy, but they find it difficult to walk into a dining room where they know no one. If a student personally invited a scholar, the woman would be delighted."