Crimson' May Lodge Complaint With FCC Against Radio Station

The CRIMSON is planning to lodge a formal complaint with the Federal Communications Commission against radio station WMEX for possible violation of FCC regulation 3.120D.

WMEX yesterday refused to permit inspection of its political expenditure report by a reporter who was investigation possible discrepancies in the statements filed by several candidates with Secretary of State's office.

Section 3.120D requires that "every licensee shall keep and permit public invention of a complete record of all broadcasts made by candidates or by someone other in their behalf, together appropriations notation showing discussion made by license of such a request and the charges made, if any, guest is granted. Such records shall be retained for two years."

Must Send Letter

When the reporter appeared at WMEX, however, he was told that though the station had sold broadcast time to "many more candidates," the records would be made public to him unless a letter sent by the CRIMSON, stating the purpose of such an inquiry, and identifying the reporter.

I can't give out these records to anybody who wants to see them," said a member of the WMEX staff. "You get that letter, have it mailed, and maybe then we will consider your request."