President Kennedy Votes In Boston This Morning

Arrives Here Last Night

By Efrem Sigel

President Kennedy arrived in Boston last night to add his vote to the Senatorial bid of his younger brother, Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy.

A crowd of about 150 was on hand at Boston Airport as the Presidential plane touched down at 6:15 p.m., right on schedule. Boston Mayor John F. Collins and John W. McCormack, Speaker of the House, met the President at the airport, and rode with him in the back seat of an open Lincoln convertible.

Kennedy, looking tanned and healthy, smiled and waved to the small group of admirers that had come to get a glimpse of him, as two girls in Kennedy hats jumped up and down and squealed.

The presidential motorcade, which included representatives of the Boston press and a special press bus for national correspondents, wound its way through downtown Boston to the Sheraton Plaza Hotel on Huntington Ave., where Kennedy spent the night in the Presidential suite. Enthusiastic crowds greeted him along the route.

Early this morning the President rose and went to cast his ballot at the Joy St. Police Station. He then flew back to Washington.

Kennedy had originally intended to vote in the capital via absentee ballot, and the visit spurred speculation that the Democratic campaign needed a last minute boost from the White House. However, Ted Kennedy remains an overwhelming favorite to defeat George Cabot Lodge '50, the Republican candidate, and Independent H. Stuart Hughes in today's election.

The election-eve visit was the President's only trip to Boston since the Senatorial campaign, and he has carefully avoided mentioning his brother in numerous speeches and statements calling for the election of a Democratic Congress.

Two weeks ago, General Dwight D. Eisenhower came to Boston to pump for the Republican ticket, and in particular for George Cabot Lodge, the son of Henry Cabot Lodge '24, Eisenhower's ambassador to the U.N.