Yacht Club Loses Meet To Coast Guard Sunday

The Harvard Yacht Club lost the Schell Regatta to the Coast Guard Academy 133-131, Sunday in the Charles Charles River Basin. Crimson sailors, who had won all six previous events of this season, tied for second place with M.I.T. for the Erwin E. Schell Trophy. Saturday racing in the regatta, normally a two-day event, was cancelled because of high winds, the sort of weather the Harvard club considers itself best in. On Sunday, although racing was hampered by light and unpredictable winds, seven of the twelve scheduled races in each of the two divisions were sailed.

Crimson skippers Carter Ford and David Stookey entered their final three races in seventh place, 35 points behind leading Coast Guard, making up the difference with several firsts and seconds. Before these wins, Stookey's third place position in the second race of the day had been disqualified for an infraction of the rules. The regatta protest committee ruled that the Harvard skipper had failed to allow enough time when asking for room to round a buoy on the course. The club has questioned the decision, but plans no formal action.