SNCC Campaign Nets $260

By Steven V. Roberts

Members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Liberal Union collected $260 in an Election Day campaign to raise money for the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC).

Twenty-two students asked voters for $1 contributions in the form of a "voluntary poll tax" as they left polling places Tuesday. Other schools in the Boston area did not fare quite so well, collecting about $100 among them.

With only a fraction of the schools which conducted campaigns reporting, the national total for the drive is about $3,500.

Four student organizations were joint sponsors of the effort to raise money for SNCC, which is engaged in running voter registration and community education schools in rural areas of the South. The sponsoring groups were the National Student Association, the Northern Student Movement, Students for a Democratic Society, and the Campus Division of Americans for Democratic Action.

Another important feature of the campaign was the distribution of literature informing voters of the work of SNCC. Peter Countryman, executive director of the Northern Student Movement, called this the most important aspect of the project.

Samuel R. Friedman '64, chairman of the HRLU project, noted that canvassers met with their greatest opposition in the wealthy Brattle Street area, and were most successful in poorer sections, such as the area surrounding the Cambridge Public Library.