Hunt Notes Reasons For CLGS Policy

Frederick V. Hunt, the professor who introduced the new C.L.G.S. legislation at last Tuesday's Faculty meeting, explained yesterday that he wanted to do away with the notion that candidacy for Honors in General Studies requires any sort of "decision" on the part of the undergraduate.

Hunt, who holds the Rumford Professorship in Physics, maintains that any student who has made the required number of honor grades in his courses deserves an Honors degree. He objects to the theory that the C.L.G.S. and departmental honors should be construed as separate, mutually exclusive programs, as the College has considered them since 1937.

In spite of strong opposition to the new policy from the History and Government Departments, there has still been no official indication from University Hall whether any "clarification" or other alteration of the new policy will be discussed at the January Faculty meeting.

Hunt's policy has aroused considerable controversy since he put it up for Faculty vote in a surprise move at the meeting last week. Before Hunt proposed the policy, debate had been entirely confined to whether or not seniors should--with the express permission of their departments--be allowed to switch from one Honors program to the other.

The controversy has been particularly acute because a group of about a dozen professors, not realizing that Hunt's policy would come up for vote, or that it would even be proposed, left the meeting just before Hunt spoke and were absent during the voting.