Rise in Applicants Won't Match National Increase

An estimated 50 per cent increase in the number of applicants for the nation's averages in 1964 and 1965 will probably not mean a corresponding rise in application to Harvard, admissions officials said yesterday.

Fred L. Glimp, dean of admissions, commented that a better estimate of the in applicants to Harvard would be only about 15 per cent, or 750 additional applicants over the two-year period.

nation-wide surge in candidates college was predicted in a report is- recently by the College Entrance Board. The report states national college enrollment is to double in the current decade, that half of this increase will come 1964 and 1965. It points out, however, the increase in applicants with SAT of 600 or more is only expected about 30 per cent in ten years. If of this number also comes in 1964-65, rise in top applicants will be 15 per cent for that period.

Doermann '52, director of , said the fact that most top already go on to college from school is a reason for the smaller in particularly well-qualified . He added that schools sending students each year to the try to discourage students less to be accepted from applying. two factors, he said, "tend to a great and sudden change in the of applicants."

The majority of the new college will go to junior colleges and state universities that are required to accept qualified candidates, the College Board continued.