Gov. to Stock CD Shelters For Harvard

University Required To Designate Areas

The government will stock and maintain civil defense shelters for the entire Harvard population as soon as the University designates the appropriate shelter areas, according to Robert Tonis, director of the University's civil defense office.

Tonis is currently studying an Army engineers' survey of Harvard buildings and will recommend specific locations for the shelters to the Corporation. Once corporation approves the areas, local defense officials will put up posters identifying the shelter areas and, at a later date, will stock the shelters.

The disclosure of Harvard's plans followed Yale's announcement that 50 buildings were being stocked as civil defense shelters capable of accommodating 90,000 people. The Yale shelters will be stocked by the government some time this winter.

"Instant Survival"

The Yale "instant survival" kit will consist of biscuits similar to graham crackers, and of water, sanitation, medical, and radiological monitoring supplies.

Yale is cooperating with the City of New Haven in its shelter program, and Yale shelters will be open to the public.

Tonis said that Harvard was "definitely cooperating with local civil defense officials," and that the University shelters would accommodate "at least the entire Harvard population." Radciffe CD preparations are being made by the 'Cliffe's Building and Grounds Department.

Harvard's civil defense effort began last year with the appointment of a Faculty committee to study the problem. The Committee was later disbanded in favor of an administrative civil defense officer, but not before it had submitted a report recommending against construction of any separate shelter facilities.