Potent Crimson Sextet Flattens Hapless Huskies, 8-1

In a brilliant display of college hockey at its best, the Crimson sextet last night stormed over a bewildered Northeastern team 8 to 1 at Watson Rink.

Apparently inspired by the return of Gene Kinasewich to the starting line-up, the squad toyed with the Huskies throughout the game. All-American Dave Johnston played a sparkling defensive game, and set up two of the Crimson's goals, while high-scoring wing Bill Lamarche flicked in two tallies.

It was hard to believe that the same Northeastern team gave Boston University a close fight last week. The Huskies spent most of the game trying to get a stick on the puck, and managed to get off only 19 shots. Harvard, on the other hand, shot 57 times.

After a fairly slow beginning which served only to exhibit the sluggishness of the Huskie defense, Gerry Jorgenson dug the puck out of a mad scramble around the nets and flicked it past Northeastern goalie Gaspare Capizzo at 17.08.

Bill Lamarche's first goal at 6.15 of the second period blew the game wide open. Lamarche scored again a minute and a half later on a pass from Ike Ikauniks, and at 14.47 Bruce Thomas slammed a hard shot into the right corner of the cage. Kinasewich got the assist.

A minute later Ron Thomson flicked a quick backhand past Capizzo. Baldy Smith added another at 18.37, bringing his season's total to three.

Chris Steedman replaced injured goalie Godfrey Wood at the beginning of the final period and was almost immediately confronted with a rapid-fire succession of Huskie shots which he deflected with superior finesse.

This was one of the few times that Steedman was threatened, however. The Crimson soon took over completely and at 12.50 captain Tim Taylor scored on a pass play set up by Johnston. Thomas pushed in a wardering puck for the final tally at 13.36.

The lone Northeastern goal came at 8.13 of the second period. Forward Ed LeNormand took a pass from Neil McPhee and shot it across Wood into the left-hand corner of the cage.

Harvard spent much more time in the penalty box than Northeastern, but this only gave the Crimson more opportunity to demonstrate their superior speed and agility. Kinasewich's displays of dribbling not only delighted the large crowd in Watson, but served to run out minute after minute on the penalty clock.

Saturday's game with much-improved Brown is slated to be one of the more crucial encounters of the season, but the Bruins will have a hard time overcoming this spirited Crimson sextet.