Heavy Snowfall To Hit Midwest

More unusually cold weather in the South and another heavy snowfall for the Midwest are predicted today, but New York and Cambridge should enjoy relatively temperate 25-to-35 degree readings with possible light snow ending by this afternoon.

The New York high should be in the 30's. There may be slightly lower temperatures in Cambridge today, much colder ones tonight.

For the South, where a typical reading yesterday was 5 above at Montgomery, Ala., the Weather Bureau promised a general but slow warming trend through today. Florida should continue to be plagued with hard freezes that caused millions of dollars of crop damage yesterday, when the state's low was 10 above at Tallahassee; Miami recorded 35 degrees.

In the Midwest, Ohio and Michigan lie directly in the path of a new snow warning, and possibly four to six inches are predicted for early today. The region has been battered for nearly a week by bitter cold, powerful winds and nearly-continuous snow; some communities already have more than 48 inches of snow on the ground.

West of the Mississippi, seasonal temperatures prevailed yesterday and are expected again today.