Galbraith Will Return To Teach by Next Fall

By Bruce L. Paisner

John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics (on leave) and United States Ambassador to India, will return to the United States will attempt to have his leave of absence extended until the end of the academic year, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

Galbraith's leave will end on March 31, but informed sources indicated that the Ambassador does not feel he can leave his post during the current India-Red China border dispute.

The Corporation is empowered to extend a leave of absence beyond the customary two year limit. Presumably, if Galbraith's request is approved, he will be teaching at the University next Fall.

Galbraith has reportedly wanted to leave India since the Goa incident last year and has stayed on only at the personal request of President Kennedy. According to informed sources, Galbraith was badly discouraged by his inability to dissuade Indian Prime Minister Nehru from attacking the Portugese colony. By resigning from the University, the Ambassador would be forced to surrender his prestigious Warburg Chair.

So far, no Harvard adviser or ambassador has chosen to leave the Kennedy Administration. National Security aide McGeorge Bundy, Foreign Aid director David W. Bell, and Solicitor General Archibald Cox all resigned from the University immediately after their appointments were announced.

White House aide Arthur M. Schlessinger Jr. took a leave of absence from the History department at the start of the Presidential campaign and renewed it in the fall of 1961. But two years is the usual limit for a leave of absence for government service, and when Schlesinger's time was up, he opted for Kennedy.

The purpose of the two year rule is to allow younger men in the Departments to move up, and also to ensure that professorship are not left vacant for too long a period. Thus once a man has resigned, there is no guarantee that he will get his job back.

The leave of absence of United States Ambassador to Japan, Edwin O. Reischauer, ends its two year run on March 15. Although Reischauer is expected to resign from the University and stay in Japan, there is general agreement among his colleagues that there will always he a professorship of Japanese History open for him if he wants it.