Powerful Track Squad Overwhelms Weak B.U. In Lopsided Win, 79-30

By Richard Cotton

It took no heroics, no great performances, and not even much effort for the varsity track team to trample the weak Boston University tracksters, 79-30.

The Crimson swept to victory with a glorious indifference. Usually reliable sources revealed that the only reason the Crimson bothered to run at all was that they were anxious to go home for Christmas.

Neither Chris Ohiri nor Art Doten even dressed for the meet. Coach Bill McCurdy didn't bother to keep Aggregy Awori around for the one mile relay and in a fit of generosity gave the event to B.U.

Terriers Sweep Event

The Terriers' one quick moment of glory--and quick it was--came in the 660-yd. run. They swept all the places in the event, and Terrier Ed Tantorski set a new Cage record of 1:13.2, breaking the old one of 1:13.6.

The Crimson took all the rest of the track events as B.U. couldn't even manage to place a man in these.

Ed Hamlin and Ed Meehan both managed work up the energy to enter their events, the mile and the 1000-yd. run. Hopefully, the B.U. entrants got a good look at the Crimson stars when they lined up, because by the end of the race the Terriers were so far behind they could barely discern the backs of the Harvard tracksters in the dim light of Briggs Cage.

Awori Wine Two

Awori, although he didn't run in the mile relay, handily won both of his usual events. He took the 40-yd. hurdles in :05.3 and the dash in :04.6.

In the field events, Jack Spitzberg took the high jump with a 6.2 1/2 effort. The Crimson, sans Ohiri, still swept the road jump as Peter Lamp placed first. Don Forte easily led the Harvard sweep of the pole vault, taking first with a vault of 11 ft., 6 in.