Hoffmann Talks on Fifth Republic Lauds de Gaulle's Algeria Settlement

"Why has de Gaulle been so successful?" Stanley H. Hoffmann, associate professor of Government, discussed this question and recent "deep changes in the French society" at a lecture in the Freshman Union Saturday evening.

Speaking to the New England regional conference of the Association of International Relations Clubs, Hoffmann said that the problem de Gaulle has faced since assuming office is to create a strong but not authoritarian government. Hoffmann described the constitution of 1958 as a compromise: "a parliamentary system, with obstacles to keep it from degenerating into the situation of the Fourth Republic.

The obstacles were embodied in a powerful president, who by referendum could go over the head of parliament to the people.

De Gaulle had hoped that a few years of stability would force the ideologically-based splinter groups into new coalitions, Hoffmann said. "That the parties did not play their part was partly de Gaulle's fault, partly theirs.

"The parties were convinced that the Fourth Republic was not an authentic regime but a parenthesis." They believed that after the crisis of Algeria de Gaulle would disappear, and that they would regain power. Therefore they felt no immediate need to reexamine their position. De Gaulle, for his part, gave them no incentive to do so, according to Hoffman.

In the referendum five weeks ago, the French approved de Gaulle's proposal to elect the president by popular vote and empower him to dissolve parliament or, through referendums, to bypass its man-date.

"It is an experiment of great fascination to political scientists, because it has never been tried before," Hoffmann said. He pointed out that if both the president and the parliament "constantly use the power at their disposal, it will be sheer bedlam."

Hoffmann felt de Gaulle showed his great ability in handling the Algerian War. De Gaulle came to power with statements so ambiguous about Algeria "that the conservatives were sure he was committed to a French Algeria while the liberals could comfort themselves with the ambiguity, saying that he was a liberal unable to any what he believed."

Deceit in Solution?

Describing the mechanics of de Gaulle's Algerian solution. Hoffmann pointed out that the French president had avoided committing himself to any one settlement. He tried first the solutions most favorable to France, continuing to make concessions until he reached agreement with the Algerians. Had de Gaulle been able to offer more to the Algerians in the beginning, the solution would have been far more favorable to France. Hoffmann said.

Commenting on the allegation that de Gaulle's solution to the Algerian problem was charged with deceit. Hoffmann said "it had certain elements of deceit in it, but what else is leadership? If trickery worked, more power to it. The alternative was disaster. What is surprising is not the solution which de Gaulle found, but that he was able to find a solution at all."