Combined Charities Fund Drive Opens

More than 140 students attended last night's kick-off dinner for the Harvard-Radcliffe Combined Charities drive in the Leverett dinning room. Charities chairman John R. Taylor Jr. '65 encouraged the assembled solicitors to contact every Harvard and Radcliffe student, pointing that the more students contacted, the greater the income.

As the receipts of the first night were being counted, the Drive seemed to have started with a tremendous spurt. Although only two Houses had been ounted by 1 a.m., the trends in both the Houses and the Yard were very favorable.

Lowell House reported the biggest success, as it contributed a total of $1000, much more than any House gave on the initial night last year. A year ago, Lowell's total pledges amounted to only $80 on the first night.

Kirkland House followed Lowell with about $650, while the first returns from the Yard indicated an average donation of $10 per student, the goal of the drive.

Stanley F. Teele, former dean of the Business School, sympathized with the certain amount of distaste and embarrassment in asking fellow students for money." He pointed out, however, that there is a "system of voluntary activity which characterizes our society;" this system, he said, requires voluntary contributions.

The goal for the drive this year is $27,000, or $10 per student. Students may give to the charity or organization of their choice during the drive, the only appeal for money which is directed toward undergraduates.

On the list of recommended charities are the United Fund, PBH, National Scholarship Service for Negro Students, UNICEF, American Friends Service Committee, World University Service, Northern Students Movement, Harvard Radcliffe WCS Scholarship Fund.

Contributions without specified recipicuts are divided among the recommended charities.

Yard Chairman Aris M. Sophocles '66 announced that there would be a Charities Dance in the Freshman Union this Saturday at 8 p.m. Sophocles promised a band and a folk-singing group, which he hopes will earn up to $500 for the Drive.