'Cliffe Announces Admission of 88 To Class of '67

By Susan Engelke

Eighty-eight girls have been offered admission to Radcliffe next year under the Early Decision Plan. According to Margaret W. Stimpson, acting director of admissions, these girls--"clearly the top"--were chosen from over 300 applicants and will comprise about one-third of the Class of '67.

The Early Decision Plan allows a qualified high school senior applying to one of the Seven Sister Colleges to be notified of her acceptance, deferral, or rejection at that college before the normal application deadline in January.

A large majority of the applicants who were not accepted were deferred for reconsideration in the spring and urged to apply to other colleges as well. In the past Radcliffe has accepted many of these deferrals in the spring.

The 88 girls represent 73 different secondary schools. Approximately half of these schools are public and half private. There has been a trend toward an increased number of girls from public schools; 59.3 per cent of '66 was from public institutions.

Mrs. Stimpson said that this trend may well continue when the entire class is chosen in the Spring. The early decision public-private school ratio is not indicative of the final ratio because in the spring there is much larger percentage of applicants from the midwest and other areas where girls usually attend public schools.

Neither the public-private school figures nor the geographic distribution is determined before the committee considers all the applications. At this point, 26 members of the Class of '67 are from New England, 35 from the mid-Atlantic states, 11 from the central states, 9 from the South, 4 from the West, and 3 from foreign countries.

The applications by '67 for regular admission are running almost exactly like last year when 1600 were received. Mrs. Stimpson said that there are so many qualified students, "it's a shame to turn them down but it isn't as if they couldn't get in anywhere else. At present the college is a good size and there are no plans to enlarge it."