Buck Announces Plans For Addition to Widener

The University plans to fill the bottom part of Widener Library's two inner courtyards with four floors of stack space and offices, Paul H. Buck, director of the University Library, revealed yesterday.

Preliminary designs have been completed and approved by the Corporation, although funds have yet to be secured for the project.

The proposed construction would include two floors of stack space and two of offices, built on each side of the section of Widener that divides the library's large central court. The addition would rise only to the window level of the Widener Memorial Room, located high in the court's center.

The increase in Widener's stack capacity would be about 300,000 books. New faculty studies, photo-laboratories, and a micro-print reading room, all air-conditioned, are included in the design. As planned, the addition would enclose 24,000 square feet of floor space.

Based on the recommendations of Raleigh A. Skelton, curator of maps of the British Museum, the University may also include space for a rejuvenated map program. Skelton, a visiting lecturer at the University this fall, has been making a study of Widener's map collection.

The addition, according to Buck, will free space in other parts of Widener for such uses as a history reading room and more stalls.

Growing Pressure

He noted that the University's library facilities have been under growing pressure from increasing use by students, the expansion of such collections as Russian history and literature, the subsequent enlargement of Widener's two catalogues, and the greater use of photo-reproduction equipment.

In response to the lack of space, the library has already established music and fine arts collections in separate parts of the University. Storage space for 400,000 books was created several years ago under the steps of Widener's front entrance.

The proposed addition, Buck said, has become possible only with the development of air conditioning and lighting, which are more efficient than that used when the library was first constructed in 1914.

Although most of the materials used in the construction will have to be lifted over the roof, the addition is the only one that could be made to the structure with-out altering the basic appearance of both Widener and the Yard.

"It's exceedingly valuable property," Buck added. "Almost like a lot on 42nd St. and fifth Ave. in New York." One problem, however, is that Widener during construction will be as noisy as a New York subway.