Freshman Swim Team Registers Second Runaway in Row, 72-23

In its second official warm-up before the meet at West Point Saturday, a powerful freshman swim team romped over the Huntington School 72 to 23 yesterday in the Huntington YMCA pool.

The consistent Yardlings (who breezed by Springfield 73 to 22 last Saturday) grabbed ten first places out of eleven events. The home team's only win was a narrow victory in the 100-yard free style over Harvard's Paul Profeta who usually swims the 200.

The first race set the pattern for the rest of the slaughter. A Crimson 200-yard medley relay team of Wurster, Hammond, French, and Buster left the Huntington quartet in its wake to win in 2:53.3. Then John Quinn ran away with the 200-yd. freestyle in 1:58.3, and John Rich, in his first year of competitive swimming, had little trouble taking the 50-yd. free.

Crimson victories came so easily and often that the meet soon became dull. After Rich's victor, Earl Showerman eased his way to first place in the usually grueling 400-yd. free. Eric Klaussman, elected captain immediately after the meet, then coasted to a win in the 100-yd. butterfly.

Charlie Vines broke the monotony with a dazzling display of diving that earned him 67.1 points and an easy first place. When the diving was over, Crimson swimmers went back to mopping up their hosts. Henry Whelchel, Henry Frey, and Bruce Fowler took first in the 100-yd. backstroke, the 100-yd. breast stroke, and the 200-yd. free, respectively.