New Massachusetts Law Hits Hard At Discrimination in Boston Housing

By Steven V. Roberts

(Ed. Note: This is the third in a series of articles describing student activity in civil rights.)

One principle aim of students engaged in civil rights activity is to make victims of discrimination aware of their legal rights. Many states have statutes outlawing biased practices in public services, but often the legal machinery can only be set in motion by the complaint of a citizen.

For example, the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts recently upheld a statute which declares that landlords of dwellings with more than three tenants may not refuse to "rent or otherwise deny accomodation to any person because of race, creed, color or national origin."

This statute has put teeth into a longterm campaign conducted by the Fair Housing Federation of Boston to help Negro familes move out of ghetto-like neighborhoods and into higher standard, mixed areas.

The Civil Rights Coordinating Committee, which meets for the first time tonight in Sever 5 at 8 p.m., will work with the FHF project for the remainder of the year.

A student interested in participating in the project will be made a "housing aide." He will be assigned to accompany the head of a family as a witness when the man applies to rent an apartment or to buy a house.

If the Negro is turned down by the landlord, the FHF then assigns a "tester" to apply for the same house or apartment.

Should the tester be accepted by the landlord, there are grounds to suspect discrimination, Susan B. Schwartz '64, a founder of the CRCC said. The facts are then presented to the landlord or real estate agent and the Negro family, with the help of the housing aide, explains the law and offers to negotiate. Often the proposal is accepted, Miss Schwartz noted.

If the agent or landlord refuses to discuss the matter, the housing aide advises the applicant to file a complaint with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. The MCAD may then decide to issue a cease and desist order.