Double Trouble

Kathleen O. Elliot, dean of South House, has suggested that a double reporting system be applied to signouts at Radcliffe. Under the plan, a girl would be required to report not only her own late returns, but also those of her friends. Such a system can only do more harm than good.

Double reporting would have an undesirable psychological effect on the girls, and breed an atmosphere of fear and suspicion in the halls of Radcliffe. Furthermore, we don't think it will work. It is difficult to see how a rule can be fair and effective which places girls in an embarrassing ethical dilemma and imposes on them a responsibility they do not want and should not have.

If the Radcliffe Administration cannot enforce regulations that a number of girls obviously consider trivial, it has no business asking students to do its dirty work. Similar reporting systems at Princeton and other colleges have only made students uncomfortable while failing to prevent violations. The only place double reporting seems to work is at West Point; it hardly seems likely Mrs. Elliot wants 'Cliffie cadets.

Recent revisions in Radcliffe's sign-out rules have shown a healthy tendency towards greater freedom. The Administration, rather than returning to childish regulations, should encourage girls to make more realistic estimates of when they will return to the dorm. It is silly and unjust to ask other girls to help punish mistakes in judgment.