HCUA Suggests Freshmen Keep Jubilee Weekend

The HCUA Jubilee study committee will recommend the continuation of the freshman jubilee weekend, according to Mark Slotnick '64, chairman oof the committee. Serious questions concerning the future of the Jubilee had been raised by the financial bankruptcy of last spring's poorly attended fest.

Because of the weak response from the class of '65, the Jubilee committee lost $1700 last year, most of which was paid for by the freshman dean's office. The study committee, which is presently formulating its final report, has tried to analyze the causes of this financial failure during its meetings.

The loss was primarily due to the drop in ticket sale, according to Slotnick. Last year's freshman class sold 225 weekend tickets, while the two previous classes had sold an average of 360. The committee decided that the poor sales were primarily due to a failure to advertise properly.

Slotnick said that the committee will make several suggestions to improve response in the future. Most important, the committee will recommend that the event be held on all-college weekend, exploiting a greater "market" for its Friday night show. Slotnick also said the banquet included in previous weekends but dropped from last year's schedule should be reinstated.

In addition the committee will suggest that an effort be made to underline the tradition of the Jubilee by treating the weekend as an event comparable to Commencement and class reunions in the "Harvard experience."