Crimson Squash Team Wins 6-3 Match Over Princeton

In spite of an anxious moment or two in the Hemenway courts yesterday, the squash team thrashed an ambitious Princeton nine 6 to 3. Playing at number two, Paul Sullivan won the crucial match for the Crimson, giving his team a 3-2 lead at the close of the five first-round matches.

Sullivan's court was the most exciting of the day, as he and Princeton's Bart McGuire alternated at winning games until Sullivan pulled out a 15-6 victory in the last. His other point scores: 15-13, 5-15, 15-11, 11-15. The pattern of play was typical of Sullivan's matches: long rallies and some rather hair-raising gets.

At the number one spot, Princeton senior Jimmy Zug administered a brusque trouncing to Harvard's Vic Niederhoffer, in games of 15-5, 15-11, 10-15, and 15-4. Zug's corner shots and lobs kept Niederhoffer out of position during most of the match.

In the other matches in the top five, the Crimson's Doug Walter defeated Princeton's Kirk Kitson in three games, 15-3, 15-6, and 15-5; while Roger Wiegand lost to the Tigers' Steve Cox, 11-15, 15-12, 16-13, and 15-14. Playing at number five, Lou Williams collected a win for the Crimson in straight games.

The most outstanding of the lower, and final, four matches was at number eight, where the Crimson's John Thorndike pulled out a seemingly definite loss with wins of 15-12, 15-5, 18-17 in the last three games, after losing the first two by 3-15 and 3-15.

The Crimson's next match will be Wednesday, against Penn.