Lions Fall Easy Prey To Swimmers, 76-19

By Rudolf V. Ganz jr.

The Crimson swimmers effortlessly swept past a hapless Columbia squad, 76-19, Saturday at the I.A.B., to keep intact their undefeated season record. The Lions failed to win a single event all evening, and two of their four second place finishes were garnered by default when the Crimson swam only one man against them.

The only event of the program that was even moderately exciting was the 440 yard freestyle. Sophomore Harry Turner easily walked off with first place in a time of 4:44.8. But the race for runner-up honors was close all the way. Junior Steve Seagren kept a smooth, steady pace about two yards behind Columbia captain John Modell for the first fourteen laps of the gruelling event.

With just over a lap to go Seagren opened up, and at the wire he was neck and neck with Modell. The timers awarded identical clockings to both swimmers, but Modell was picked for second place.

For the varsity the outstanding performance of the meet was turned in by Dennis Hunter in the 50 yard freestyle. Hunter wat timed at 22.7, only half a second from the pool mark tied by his brother two years ago.

Sophomore Jay Shelton put on his best diving performance of the year as he easily eclipsed his sole Lion opponent. His executions of a forward two-and-one-half somersault and an inward one-and-one-half somersault drew seven's from the judges and wild applause from the stands.

The Columbia meet provided the varsity with a last warm-up before the crucial clash with Princeton next week. But a lot of questions remain unanswered for those who have been following the team all season.