H.A.A. Approves Budget for Band

The Department of Athletics has approved an expanded budget for the Harvard University Band, including free date tickets to all games and University-provided buses for members and their dates for away games.

In November the HAA reversed its year-long ban by Dean Watson, then acting director of Athletics, forbidding dates on overnight bus trips. Although the Band has always been given free date tickets to non-Ivy games, next year will be the first time members will be given date tickets to all games.

The Band's seating block has been increased by 55 seats to accommodate dates and extra space needed for tubas and other instruments, and the HAA has promised not to sell any Band seats. The block has been moved down towards the goal line by about five yards.

Also included in the budget is the cost of a police escort for home games ($163 last season); the cost of one meal per Bandsman at all away games ($260 for two games last year); and the cost of the Band's instrument truck for away games ($150 per trip).

Band manager Edward A. Alpers '63 said that the HAA had realized that these changes are necessary for the Band to maintain an adequate size. "The Band performs a real service," he said, "and the members sacrifice a good deal of time to put on our shows."