HCUA Elects First Set of Officers; Minihan, Russin, Schaffer Get Posts

Cornelius J. "Neil" Minihan '63 of Quincy House and Bourne, last night was elected to serve as the first Chairman of the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs. Elected vice-Chairman was Joseph M. Russin '64 of Dunster House and Laramie, Wyo.

Also chosen at last night's meeting were Andrew S. Schaffer of Dunster House and Scarsdale, N.Y., Secretary; and Douglas B. Harding '63 of Leverett House and East Greenwheil, R.I., Treasurer.

Minihan, who was opposed by three in his quest for the chairmanship, told the Council that this year would be "a crucial time" for the organization. He emphasized that the successes of this Council would "make or break" Council at Harvard.

In order to achieve unity in the organization, Minihan declared that committee chairman should come under "close supervision" of the Council. In the past, some chairmen, such as the head of the Educational Policy Committee, have operated with nearly total autonomy.

Noting that the House Communittees have sufficient power to "dominate" the new group, Minihan urged a course of cooperation with the House organizations. "We can't fight them," he commented.

Russin, in his remarks, warned that "the Council must get to work immediately on a project that can capture the imagination of all the students." He told the Council that "fast action is needed" if the HCUA is ever to assume a place of significance on the Harvard campus. "Otherwise this Council will quickly sink into oblivion," he observed.

Minihan and Russin were members of the old Student Council. John Thorndike '64 of Eliot House is the only other member of the old group to have been returned to office.

Harding, elected Treasurer, offered extensive service on the HSA Calendar as evidence of his business seminar. Although he is currently manager of the Calendar, Harding said he was "thoroughly in favor" of having the Council carry out a detailed investigation of all HSA agencies. He also asked that the Council serve as a mediation group through which antagonistic student organizations could settle differences.