Restrictions Force Band to Vote Not to Perform at Commencement

Can't Attract Members Without Activities

By Richard B. Ruge

The Harvard University Band has voted not to participate in Commencement for the first time since 1947 unless the 25th Reunion Committee lifts restrictions on the activities in which Bandsmen may take part.

Dean Watson, Chief Marshall at Commencement and a graduate of 1937, and other Reunion officials still expressed hope yesterday for a compromise whereby "we could use the Band and make it worthwhile for them too." But Band manager Edward A. Alpers '63 pointed out that without a sufficient range of activities the Band could not attract enough members "to put on decent concerts."

The Reunion Committee has offered to pay for a private Band party. Alpers argues that Bandsmen must be kept active constantly to make it worthwhile to sacrifice their time. Aside from free admission to a Boston Pops performance Monday night of Commencement week, no activities are open to Band members between their Sunday night Harkness Commons concert and their Wednesday night concert with the Glee Club.

Social Activities Limited

Bandsmen, moreover, cannot be stags at social functions since by definition a stag must attend every event. Rehearsals and concerts make this impossible for the Band, Alpers said. "Bar privileges" after the Harkness concert have become more and more limited. And although the Bandsmen can later attend a Leverett House dance, they would arrive two hours late.

"To make the Wednesday night concert successful," Alpers said, "we need a full band." Last year the first four trumpets held summer jobs and could not stay in Cambridge, so the Band was forced to hire professional musicians. The Reunion Committee agreed to pay the $170 bill.

The Band "really wants to play," Alpers stated, citing publicity advantages as a benefit. "It's good for us and it's good for the alumni. They get a big kick out of the Harvard songs. But Band-Reunion relations have been deteriorating since 1954, and each year there are fewer reasons for our staying here.

"We make enough demands on the Bandsmen's time as it is. Usually we place the Band's interests above those of the members. But now we are forced to consider individuals over the Band. Scholarship holders, for example, just cannot afford to lose the money."

Alpers admitted that "it's the alumni's reunion, so naturally they don't want Bandsmen hanging around." A series of incidents several years ago led to the decision that Bandsmen and their dates could not attend functions at the Essex

"I'd hate for us not to play," said Alpers. "But unless the Reunion Committee can offer us sufficiently attractive activities, we just can't afford it."

Samuel L. Lowe, Jr. '37, member of the Reunion Committee, said yesterday that the Committee wants the Band to play.'