Favored Crimson Sextet Defeats Princeton, 3-1

By Robert E. Smith

PRINCETON, N.J., Feb. 17--Princeton played above its head for two periods in hockey, but was unable to upset the highly favored Harvard sextet today. Before the 2500 alumni and undergraduates able to crowd into Baker Rink, the Crimson edged the defensive Tigers, 3 to 1.

The varsity, sporting a 14-4 record going into the game, could not manipulate the puck in close to the Princeton goal for most of the contest. And the long slap shots that want through defensemen Austie Sullivan and Dave Oliver were adequately saved by goalie Bill Hill.

When the Crimson skaters were able to move in on Hill, they scored--once in each period. But the win came only after a genuine score from the Tigers, whose season has been less than a success.

Princeton surprised the fans after 29 seconds of play with a quick goal on the varsity's Bob Bland. The Crimson took the puck from the opening face-off into the Princeton end and then lost it to the Tigers on the boards. Dave Hershey brought the disc up ice and passed to Tom Hyland behind the cage. John Cook, 1-Ivy wing and 1961 scoring leader, slapped Hyand's pass into the cage past Bland.

The 1-0 Princeton lead stood for nine minutes of play. Tim Taylor's tying goal at 9:31 was similar to Cook's tally. Gene Kinasewich fought for the puck on the boards behind the cage. Chris Norris eventually flipped the loose disc out to Taylor, who was ten feet from the goal, near the face-off circle. He flipped the puck home although he fell flat on his back in the process.

Kinasewich scored the tie-breaker in incredible, Kinasewich fashion. Standing on the goal line to the far right of the cage, he somehow slapped the puck into the nets at a zero-degree angle.

The varsity's third goal came at 7:06 of the last period after wild efforts by both teams for another score. Dean Alpine skated in on Hill all alone from the blue line, stick handled to his right around two defensemen, and flicked the puck into the right side of the goal.

Defenseman Dave Johnston was penalized for high sticking a minute later, but the varsity survived Princeton's last threat, thanks to stick handling by Kinasewich and a couple of quick saves by Bland.

The freshman hockey team, earlier, blew a 2-0 lead and settled for a 2-3 overtime tie with Princeton. The Yardlings' record is now 5-6-2.