Tiger Cagers Keep Scoring Lead To Down Crimson in 28-Point Loss

By Robert E. Smith

PRINCETON, N.J., Feb. 17--The varsity basketball team completed a lost weekend to the southern reaches of the Ivy League with an 83-55 loss to Princeton at Dillon Gymnasium to-night. Friday night the Crimson lost by 30 points to the University of Pennsylvania.

The Tigers started slowly in the first four minutes of the game, but the varsity failed to jump ahead by much. Princeton rallied and throughout the second part of the first period maintained at least a 10-12 point lead. By intermission it was 39 to 21, and for the remainder of the game the score was rarely much closer.

Harvard scored early with two field goals and a free throw, and then Bill Haarlow, Tiger forward, sank seven straight points and his team was on top, 8 to 5, at 5:52. After a book shot by Bill Danner of the Crimson, Princeton netted three straight from the floor.

Joe Deering's jump shot after eight minutes of play put the varsity within reach, 12 to 11, but the Tigers presently took over again.

The Crimson simply failed to rebound during the first half, and so Princeton's early unsteadiness did not hurt the home team. The varsity's shooting percentage for the second straight night was hardly helpful either (33 per cent against Princeton).

For the Crimson, only Gary Borchard was not completely off the mark. He hit for 15 points tonight, mostly on driving lay-ups. His teammates were unable to work the ball in close and their outside shots were not accurate.

Meanwhile, 6 ft., 6 in. Al Kaemmerien was gathering most of the Tigers' 32 rebounds in the first half.

In the second half, coach Floyd Willson's five battled to keep Princeton from running up the score beyond its present 29-point margin. The effort was generally successful until the substitutes from both benches came on with four minutes to go.