Princeton Basketball Team Beats Crimson Quintet by 73-65 Score

(Tonight's game--Pennsylvania at 8:15 p.m. in the IAB)

By Joseph M. Russin

Before last night's game, Harvard basketball figures had a beautiful symmetry. The Crimson was 10-10 for the season, and both Harvard and its opponents had scored 1444 points. Princeton destroyed this statistical harmony last night with a 73-65 victory over the Crimson quintet.

It was a game Harvard could have won. Crimson shooting was reasonably accurate and the rebounding was pretty good at times. Nonetheless, the Crimson obstinately refused to settle down and play deliberate, careful basketball, and consequently made enough foolish mistakes to give the the smooth-moving Tigers the game.

Princeton took the lead in the opening seconds of the first half, and never relinquished it. Mid-way through the period, when the Tigers led by ten points, Crimson coach Floyd Wilson decided to abandon the zone defense he used to start the game, and switched back to the traditional man-to-man.

Undismayed, the Tigers cheerfully advanced their margin to 15 points with about five minutes to go. At this point both teams put on a dassling display of outside jump shooting, with the Crimson coming out slightly better. At halftime the Tiger edge was only 89-30.

For the first six minutes in the second half Harvard held its own against the Princeton scoring machine, but when Bob Inman fouled out, the Crimson faltered. Pete Campbell and Jack White-house quickly led Princeton to a 57-41 advantage, and Harvard's refusal to stop making mistakes made the lead stick.

Although Harvard was able to contain Ivy Player of the Week Al Kaemmerlen, guard Pete Campbell, who ended up with 23, was irrepressible. Denny Lynch canned 22 for the Crimson. Tiger Jack Whitehouse did a superb job of bottling up Harvard captain Gary Borchard, who now needs 21 points to bring his career totals to 1,000.

One bright development for the Crimson was the often spectacular shooting of sophomore Bob Inman, who picked up 10 points and a new nickname--Stork.